- 1 of 1 Photos | View More Photos
Sagamore Hills -- The township is replacing the two aging furnaces at the Valley View Road Safety Center after it was determined there was a danger of carbon monoxide leakage.
Trustees approved the purchase of two new furnaces for just under $8,600 from Cleveland Air Comfort Corp. Jan. 14.
Trustee John Zaccardelli said that one furnace is 25 years old and the other is 20 years old and a recent inspection determined that both have small cracks in their heat exchangers that would likely result eventually in dangerous carbon monoxide leaks.
"Replacing them both at the same time is a good thing. It has to be done," he said.
He said the replacement would be immediate. Zaccardelli said the old furnaces are also inefficient and that new furnaces should lower heating costs.
SBlt Trustees approved payment of about $295,000 for various road projects completed in 2012. Work was done on Holzhauer, Springledge, Springwood and Crystal Creek roads and Crystal Lane. Trustee Richard Barrett said the projects were paid for in part with matching state Issue 1 grants.
Zaccardelli said that in 2012, the township took in nearly $19,000 in building permit fees. He said about $11,000 of this was attributed to the recently completed construction of a Brandywine Ski Resort lodge.
Barrett said the township is working on a way to prevent people leaving rubbish in and around the Safety Center recycling bins.
Northfield Center-Sagamore Hills Fire District Chief Frank Risko said the district had 1,509 calls in the two townships last year.
"We've never had that many calls," he said.