Sagamore Hills -- Valley View Road was closed from Chaffe Road to Canal Road for more than two hours Aug. 30 and homes were evacuated on Valley View Road around 10:35 a.m. due to a gas leak near the Summit Metro Parks Bike and Hike Trail after a construction company hit a gas line while working on a house.
Northfield Center Sagamore Hills Fire Chief Frank Risko said no injuries were reported. He said firefighters were on scene for 2 1/2 hours.
Risko said eight homes were evacuated as a precaution including one family of seven, who firefighters escorted to the nearby animal hospital to await a ride.
"We watched the veterinary hospital too just in case we needed to evacuate them," Risko said. "The wind was constantly shifting the vapors."
In all, Risko estimated about 20 people were evacuated from the nearby homes.
Risko said Valley Fire District assisted the fire district and Macedonia Fire Department was on standby in case mutual aid was needed.
Neil Durbin, spokesperson for Dominion East Ohio, said a construction crew hit a four inch pipe near 11768 Valley View Road causing service interruption for five homes.
Durbin said the area was deemed safe approximately 1.5 hours after the incident occurred and customers were reconnected to service by late afternoon.
Valley View Road was reopened around 1:30 p.m. Police say one lane of traffic was opened just after 1 p.m.